The benefits of Baobag fully biodegradable plastic bags and bio-compostable plastic bags present a compelling business proposition and align with growing consumer trends towards environmental sustainability and "greening", one of the key themes of the 21st century.
Our patented composition draws on globally innovative technologies and Lension's long track-record in the production of bags, used across the globe.Our fully biodegradable plastic bags and bio-compostable plastic bags are as strong as conventional plastic bags and can be configured in a range of styles.
The Baobag biodegradable plastic bags and bio-compostable plastic bags are produced in South Africa in the city named after one of the world's greatest statesmen: Nelson Mandela Bay within the world-class Coega Industrial Development Zone.
Unlike other degradable plastic technologies which require very specific conditions, our bags biodegrade in any biologically-active environment (including most landfills). This revolutionary additive technology, renders the bags biodegradable while maintaining their other desired characteristics.
Globally we use about a trillion bags a year. That is approx 10 million every 5 minutes.While these 'never' degrade, Baobag biodegradable plastic bags and bio-compostable plastic bags presents a solution that is both highly functional and environmental.
COPYRIGHT © BAOBAG | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This proudly South African range of 100% fully biodegradable and EN 13432 certified bio-compostable plastic bags is named after the famous Baobab Tree. Our bags leave no footprint, do not pollute rivers, lands or even landfills .... which means future generations can look forward to community landscapes, where the effects and appearance of plastic bags are conspicuous only by their absence.
We are saving the planet, literally
one shopping bag at a time.
Native to the African savannah where the climate is extremely dry and arid, the Baobab has adapted to its environment.
It is a succulent which means that during the rainy season it absorbs and stores water in its vast trunk, enabling it to produce a nutrient-dense fruit in the dry season when
all around is dry and arid.
This is how it became known as "The Tree of Life".
COPYRIGHT © BAOBAG | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Lension SA is a member of Lension International, which has
7 factories across the globe.
It has specialised in plastic bag production for over 40 years andsupplies a demanding global market, including Europe, Asia, USA and Africa.
Contact us for exceptional quality, value and service
The Baobag range consists of biodegradable plastic bags (not Oxo-degradable) and Bio-compostable plastic bags.
BIODEGRADABLE AND BIOCOMPOSTABLE
• Our bio-compostable bags are EN 13432 certified as 100% biodegradable.
• Our bio-compostable bags are tested and certified to degrade to CO2 , water and minerals within 6 months
Our bio-compostable plastic bags underwent numerous tests to be awarded EN 13432 certifification (European standards for 100% bio-compostability
• Our biodegradable bags are created with a pure organic microbial additive that makes plastic biodegrade, and is approved for food contact by the United States Federal Drug Administration and EU, as well as both the US Federal Trade Commission and REACH compliant. (it is perfectly safe)
• It is certified legally biodegradable by ASTM D5511 and ASTM D5526 standards.
• Microbial action metabolizes the polymer. The end result being inert humus (biomass) and biogas (anaerobic) or Co2 (aerobic)... NOT fragments - only natural gas.
• These bags are biodegradable in anaerobic (no oxygen, no light), and aerobic (with oxygen) environments, this includes common landfills.
• All plastics made with a microbial organic additive are completely recyclable and should be comingled with existing plastics recycling.
• Scientific data and independent recyclers support that these products will not contaminate recycle streams as the material used does not impact the polymer chain in any way. Microbial additives can be used with PE, PP, PS, PVC, PET, PC, and rubber.
• The Baobag range of biodegradable plastic bags is NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) approved - South African government approved.
• Our plastic samples were tested using:
> ASTM D5209-91 : Standard test method for determining Aerobic biodegradation of plastic materials in the presence of Municipal sewage sludge
> ASTM D338.98 (equivalent to CEN prEN WI261085 and ISO14855): Standard test method for determining Aerobic biodegradation of plastic materials under controlled composting conditions
> ASTM 5511 : Standard test method for determining Aerobic biodegradation of plastic materials under high solids Anaerobic Digestion conditions.
> Other tests include Ecological assessments and Scanning electron microscope studies
Watch our Production Process in Action